16 Aug The Best Skin Care Routine Before & After Working Out
Clinique recently launched a new line of CliniqueFit products. As the name implies, the range is geared toward workout buffs. The line is made up of seven products and contains a mix of skin care and gym-friendly makeup like dual action body and face wipes, mattifying moisturizer, powder, mascara, and tinted SPF. So far the line has been met with great reviews and while it’s nice to see a line of products made specifically for people who spend a lot of time getting sweaty, it’s also super easy to create your own pre and post-workout skin care routine with products you already own. Instead of shelling out cash for new products, stash these in your duffel bag to keep your skin clear, healthy, and glowing no matter how often you hit the gym.
1. Cleanse – Allow your skin to breathe during your workout by using a cleansing wipe on your face, neck, and chest before working out to remove excess dirt, oil, products or makeup. This ensures that your face will feel nice and clean even when beads of sweat start to roll. After your workout, splash some cold water on the same area and use another cleansing wipe to gently remove any built up sweat.
2. Treat – Treating acne, oily skin, and maintaining a post-workout glow is easy with the help of chemical exfoliants. Products with salicylic acid (an AHA) will kill acne-causing germs and fight breakouts. A dull complexion or excess oil can be remedied with products containing BHAs to remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover. Salicylic acid and BHAs also help to remove black heads and reduce the size of pores.
3. Moisturize – Applying your favorite moisturizer or serum is essential to maintain your skin’s pH balance post-workout. It will also help you avoid dryness which can cause oil glands to work over time and produce excess oil.
4. Mist – If you want to feel extra fresh post-workout, spritz on a refreshing mist containing active ingredients to hydrate and soothe your skin.
5. Protect – If you’re someone who likes to rise and grind, don’t forget to smooth on some SPF before heading out for the day to ensure your skin is safe from damaging UVA and UVB rays. This is especially important if AHAs, BHAs, or retinol are part of your skin care regimen as they cause skin to become highly sensitive to the sun.
Photo by Viktor Hanacek